Carbon Monoxide Detection Can Occur in Several Spots Throughout the House

Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
RSS
SHARE

carbon monoxide detection, Acton, MassachusettsIf carbon monoxide levels build up in your home, it can become a very hazardous, and even potentially fatal situation. This poisonous gas causes the majority of the deaths by poison in America. A working carbon monoxide detector is vital for protecting the health of your family.

When a carbon monoxide alarm is raised, immediate evacuation is necessary. Once everyone is safely out into the fresh air, a professional evaluation will allow for carbon monoxide detection, and a fix can be applied at the source.

A major potential culprit that will be checked thoroughly is the furnace. Combustion in a gas or oil furnace will produce carbon monoxide, and if the system does not work properly, carbon monoxide could escape. The flame, ventilation system, combustion chamber, heat exchanger and filters will all be checked for leaks, cracks, dirt or otherwise faulty operation. Carbon monoxide levels will be checked to make sure the system is not producing abnormally high amounts of the poisonous gas.

Vents will be checked to ensure that they are routing the air properly and that there are no blockages. Extra attention will be paid to any vents for appliances that burn fuel, and therefore could be the source of the carbon monoxide.

Blocked chimneys, or those that do not allow the air to escape properly, can also be the source of the problem. Fireplaces will be checked to make sure that the chimney is clean, straight and functioning correctly.

Pilot lights on the stove, as well as on the fireplace, will be checked for correct ventilation.

The professional may also check that you do not leave vehicles idling in the garage, that you do not use charcoal inside or in an unventilated area, and that the stove is used correctly.

If you have any questions or would like more information about carbon monoxide detection or anything else related to the comfort of your home, feel free to contact us at  Rodenhiser Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning. Since 1928, our business has been keeping homes in the Route 495/128 area of Massachusetts comfortable and safe.

Image via Shutterstock.com

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *