The last problem you want to have in the dead of summer is a malfunctioning air conditioner. That’s why it’s important to remember to include air conditioning maintenance on your Spring cleaning list. Specifically, you will want to examine and clean the air conditioning condensing unit to ensure optimal performance during those hot summer months.
The air conditioning condensing unit is the box shaped part of the air conditioning system located on the outside of your home. Many people decide to simply spray the unit down with a hose in hopes of cleaning, and while that may work sometimes, it can often clog your unit with debris or damage the fins, leaving it in worse condition. It’s important to conduct a more thorough cleaning of your condensing unit to ensure it remains debris free and able to optimally move air through its system.
- Always begin by turning off the power to the unit at the shutoff box.
- Clear the surrounding area of overgrown grass, vines and other debris, as this could obstruct airflow.
- Vacuum the fins of the unit using a soft brush attachment. Be extremely careful not to bend the fins in the process. Try using an old hairbrush to remove debris that was unable to be vacuumed. On some units, you may have to unscrew and lift off a protective grill for better access.
- Using biodegradable commercial coil cleaner, which can be purchased at refrigerator supply stores, spray into the coil and allow it to sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Being careful not to bend the aluminum fins, wash the coil with a gentle water spray. If you find some bent fins, you can use a flat screwdriver to carefully straighten them out.
- Restore power to your air conditioning condensing unit and enjoy your smoothly running machine.
For advice and help on cleaning your air conditioning condensing unit, or any other issues related to the maintenance of your home, please contact us at Rodehiser Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning. We’ve been proudly serving the Route 495/128 area of Massachusetts since 1928.
Image via Shutterstock.com