The hot summer months are definitely here. Your air conditioning is going to be working overtime. You need to keep your HVAC in good working order to keep your home cool in this heat. You can use the best summer HVAC maintenance tips to help your system keep up with the worst summer can bring.
Summer HVAC Tips to Use
If you haven’t already done basic maintenance on your HVAC system, now is the time to start. Here are five tips to get you going:
- Make sure supply and return vents are not blocked. Your HVAC works by moving air out of and into the system. During summer, the warm air comes in, gets cooled, then gets expelled out to cool the house. If you have furniture or other items in front of the vents, the air flow is blocked, which means it takes longer to cool your home.
- Vacuum dust and pet hair from vents. Over time, dust will accumulate in the fins of your vents. As the dust accumulates, it starts attracting larger debris and slowly cutting off air flow. If you want your HVAC to be as efficient as possible, keep those vents clean.
- Rinse the outside unit with a hose. The outside part of your HVAC system gets dirty over time. In summer, grass clippings can accumulate. In the autumn, leaf debris is the main culprit. Spring brings plenty of pollen. All of this can decrease the system’s energy efficiency.
- Change air filters monthly. Air filters help remove the minute particulates that can decrease the HVAC system’s efficiency. They also help improve the air quality in the house.
- Have an annual service visit. Your HVAC system needs regular maintenance to work at its best. Having an HVAC professional make a visit and do a tune-up will keep the system running efficiently. It also prolongs the system’s life and keeps repair needs to a minimum.
These best summer HVAC maintenance tips will help you beat the heat. If you need to schedule your annual maintenance visit, give us a call here at Rodenhiser Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning.