Electric bills tend to soar in the summer as the air conditioner starts to work overtime. No one wants to deal with a big electric bill, but no one wants to deal with the heat of summer inside the house. Learning how to save money on electricity in the summer can keep your energy usage down without sacrificing comfort.
Easy Ways to Bring Your Energy Use Down
Use these handy tips for how you can save money on electricity this summer:
- Use insulated window treatments. If you have windows that bring direct sunlight into your home, you are heating your home with those sun rays. Heavy drapes or insulated blinds will help keep that heat outside instead of inside, cutting down your electricity use.
- Use a programmable thermostat. You aren’t home. Why is your A/C running at full blast? A programmable thermostat, set to your schedule, will keep your home comfortable when you are at home and save you money when you are not.
- Shut the doors on rooms you are not using. If no one is using the extra bedroom or rec room in your home, closing off that space will save you the energy it takes to cool it. The A/C will do its job quickly and then shut off. That will cut down on your energy use and electric bill.
- Use ceiling fans. Fans do not actually cool the air. The movement of the air across the skin makes it feel cooler. By making the occupants of the room feel cooler, it is possible to keep the A/C at a higher temp. Just remember to turn the fans off when you leave the room.
- Use natural light when possible. Turn the lights off during the day and use natural light as much as possible. You should open the window treatments on all the windows not receiving direct sunlight. This will illuminate your home without letting in the heat of the sun.
If you want to learn more about how to save money on electricity in the summer, contact us here at Rodenhiser Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning.