Summer heat is upon us here in Massachusetts. The air conditioning is running constantly, driving up your energy costs. You may even be dreading opening up your next electric bill. Use these energy-saving tips for air conditioning systems to keep your bills down this summer.
Keep Those Cooling Costs Down
These tips will help you keep your electric bills reasonable during the hot summer.
- An annual service visit will keep the A/C running efficiently and smoothly. The HVAC technician will service and tune the system while inspecting it for any necessary repairs. Regular service prolongs the life of the system and also cuts down on repair costs.
- Air filters keep dust and debris out of the inside of the air conditioner. If the air filters get clogged, the A/C will have to work harder to keep your home cool. That is why it is important to change the air filters at least once a month during the cooling season.
- A programmable thermostat will maximize the efficiency of your A/C. You set the thermostat to cool down when you are home. When you are not home, the thermostat will allow the house to warm up a few degrees. This helps lower your cooling bills without you needing to remember to turn the thermostat up or down.
- Use window treatments to block direct sunlight. The heat that comes from the sun causes your home to warm up. If you use insulated drapes or shades, that heat is blocked from entering your home. The A/C doesn’t have to work as hard to keep your home comfortable.
- Use ceiling fans to move the air around. Ceiling fans do not decrease the actual temperature in the room. However, they do make the room feel cooler to a person standing in it. This allows you to turn your A/C to a higher temperature and cut your energy use.
If you want more energy-saving tips for air conditioning systems, contact us here at Rodenhiser Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning. We are the A/C experts in the Route 495/128 area of Massachusetts.